• Author
      Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

Replies viewable by members only

Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

Ok.. so it appears that this helmet will be available in April this year for sale. I have heard that pricing starts at around $750 CDN for the solid colour helmets and just shy of $1000 for the graphic designed helmets.

Unofficially, I have also heard that the manufacturer is AGV and not Schuberth for this one.

Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

Looks like a very good looking helmet.

BMW System 7 Carbon Helmet

Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

So.. in March the local dealer (Vancouver BMW Ducati) said that they had 14 on order and that they were scheduled to arrive in April. Called them last week and now they are saying they won’t be here until July or so. Anyone hear anything else?

Grant Fengstad
        Keymaster

Renewing Member

Ok.. latest update is that the helmets will begin shipping to Canada in May.

Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

Well.. May has basically come and gone and now it is looking to be more mid-June.

Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

Ok.. so I ordered a new Carbon 7 Helmet – Graphic (Hi-Vis) version. Dealer indicates that it will not likely be ready until near end of July.

davidbailie
      Participant

Renewing Member

I look forward to taking a look at your Grant, when it arrives. My helmet is only 2 years old so it’s perhaps a bit early for me to be looking to buy a new one.

But I can always talk myself in to new goodies.

Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

So, the helmet is scheduled to be in central distribution (Germany) on July 21st. According to Highroad Vancouver (Vancouver BMW Ducati), if that date is met then it should be at the dealer about 10 days later. What a journey – I started this in October of last year.

I also ordered the BMW Communications unit when I place my order for the helmet. I was told at that time that the Comm units may be delayed and that they could not provide an estimated date – this was in April. Well, to my surprise I found out on Friday that the Comm unit had arrived – I picked it up yesterday from the dealer. Hopefully that is a good sign that the helmet will show up as expected. They have received more Carbon 7 helmets, albeit not with the graphics design but it did afford me the opportunity to try on the XL (60/61) to ensure the fit was good… wow, does this helmet ever feel good and it is really, really light. Last thing of note: While I was initially looking to order the Prime graphics version (blue / silver), I thought different when my wife reminded me that my gear is mostly black / yellow (Hi-Vis). Ended up going for the hi-vis version.

BMW Carbon 7 - HI-Vis Helmet

Allan Vallis
      Participant

Renewing Member

You should have just bought an Arai. 🙂

Eric Hutton
      Participant

Renewing Member

Does Arai make a modular dual sport helmet?
      I tried the BMW helmet today at the new Langley store but didn’t like the hard fit…..I really like the Schubert but pretty pricey…..not sure if my head is worth the big bucks…😉😉

Allan Vallis
      Participant

Renewing Member

No, Arai doesn’t. I was just needling Grant. But Shoei makes a few. About $700. A variety of other Snell/DOT approved helmets available for much less money. Your head is worth it, Eric!

Eric Hutton
      Participant

Renewing Member

Tks…
      I’ll check stuff out a little more
      Cheers eh!

Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

So… my order for the Hi-Vis was supposed o arrive in Germany on July 21st. It then was deferred to July 24th and on Tuesday I was advised that it is now end of August. For whatever reason, the graphic versions of the System 7 Carbon helmets are all delayed. They did have a few solids in my size so I ended up taking a solid Silver with the communication unit. It was installed today and man, all I can say is that it is very involved to install the unit in the helmet. Definitely get the dealer to do this – they at least get practiced in this process.

Grant Fengstad
      Keymaster

Renewing Member

Check out my review of this helmet

Glen Taylor
      Participant

Renewing Member

I recently bought a System 7 helmet. Will not actually get to try it out until the spring, though, as my insurance is up.

One thing that I failed to remember was that, for whatever reasons, none of the BMW helmets are DOT certified. Further, I was under the mistaken belief that they could not be sold in the US to Americans, but that I could wear it as a Canadian visiting the US. Wrong.

The states do not recognize ECE standards even though they are more comprehensive than DOT standards. If you got caught (for example, stopped for speeding) the roadside penalties vary from state to state but can include a fine, confiscation of the helmet and the cost of towing your bike if you don’t have a spare helmet.

So, buyer beware.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.