Home Forums Welcome to the Forum General Discussions BMW repair shops in Metro Vancouver

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris Humphries
      Participant

Replies viewable by members only

Eric Hutton
      Participant

Renewing Member

I can personally vouch for Shails. I’m sure you will be referred to Imperial in Burnaby who I hear is good as well.
      Cheers!

Chris Humphries
      Participant

Hi Eric, thank you for your suggestion. Okay, good to know as I will get some work done on the bike soon.

KFrancis
      Participant

Renewing Member

Hi Chris, Shail’s Motorcycles in Langley is the best shop that you can go to. Depending on the the type of work you need done, some of it you can also do yourself!

Steven Bout
      Participant

Renewing Member

Another shop with a BMW trained mechanical (for older bikes) is in North Vancouver:

Used Motorcycle Sales and Service

Jason runs/owns the shop
      Jeff was a BMW Mech from Pacific some years ago.

Did you see Shail? feed back?

Chris Humphries
      Participant

Hi Guys,
      I took the bike to Shails. On weekdays, the bus ride out there and/or back to the city is actually pretty damn fast. They did a few things on it while it was in there; nothing too serious. However, I spoke to the mechanic who worked on it (Todd) and he suggested that I book it in for a full on tranny removal so that the input splines could be thoroughly checked over, and lubed properly. I have been sitting on the fence about that. I’ve been meaning to take the starter off and see what movement there is on the clutch, but am not really sure what to make of it when I get there. Online forums seem to be all over the place on this spline issue.

Thank you for the suggestion, Steven!

Allan Vallis
      Participant

Renewing Member

Personally, I would measure the play on your input shaft before you drop $1,000+ on a spline lube. Right now, for all you know, your input shaft could be in perfect condition.

Chris Humphries
      Participant

Hi Allan, so I finally got a 6mm hex and pulled the start off, and zip-tied the clutch open. It looks like there is absolutely no play on the splines, assuming that I did it correctly. This is a huge relief as I have been a little worried since speaking with Shails.

Do you know anyone in the Beemer community with a shop, and who would be willing to have a second look at the splines, and even show me how to apply lube through the starter gap? If I could have a second opinion on this, that would be great.

Allan Vallis
      Participant

Renewing Member

I’ll assume that you checked for rotational movement of the clutch disc and found little or no play. This is great news. In order to do a through-the-starter- plince lube, one needs a special hypodermic needle to allow the lube to be placed between the shaft spline and the splines on the clutch disc. I know of one person who has one of these custom made needles and next time I’m talking to him, I’ll ask if he’s interested in working on your bike. In the mean time, rejoice in knowing you don’t have a major re/re job in front of you.

Chris Humphries
      Participant

Hi Allan,
      Yup, I tried to gently rotate the clutch without rotating the entire input shaft, and there appeared to be no movement. I am actually surprised that there was absolutely nothing… hence my seeking a second opinion from someone who is familiar with it. I don’t yet personally know anyone with this vintage of tranny/engine who can confirm.

Thanks Allan.

Allan Vallis
      Participant

Renewing Member

Chris, If you do end up pulling the tranny, here’s something which I would recommend you install.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cla33264.html

Chris Humphries
      Participant

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the link to that! It definitely makes sense to swap the problem part out if I end up paying all that money to pull the tranny. if/when I pull the trigger on the work, I’ll try to get my hands on one of these plates.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.