Home Forums Welcome to the Forum General Discussions BMW GS1200 Fork Stanchion Separation Issue

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      davidbailie
      Participant

Renewing Member

Replies viewable by members only

Eric Hutton
      Participant

Renewing Member

Thanks for that Dave.
      How would I check my forks?
      Or could you show me at the next meeting.
      Cheers!

davidbailie
      Participant

Renewing Member

Hi Eric. Just below the top (I believe it’s called) triple tree, you’ll see the fork leg tubes, and there is a rubber sleeve around each fork tube. Roll the rubber sleeve down and check there is no oil leakage and there should be no gap between the plug and the fork tube. The image on this web page shows how it should *not* look: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads%2Fupper-stanchion-crimping-failure.1184877%2F

There is a Facebook page for this issue. If you’re on Facebook, just search for BMW GS 100 Stanchion Separation Issue and there is a lot of information there. There have been quite a few reports of the crimping failing and people being seriously hurt as you can imagine if your forks fell away from the bike while you were moving.

And we can definitely take a look on Tuesday at the meeting.

Cheers,

David.

Eric Hutton
      Participant

Renewing Member

Thanks David
      I will have a look.
      Rise safe,
      Eric

Eric Hutton
      Participant

Renewing Member

I checked with High Road BMW today and there is now a recall. It is a check and reapair if needed but they won’t have parts until mid August.
      Thanks for the heads up on that.
      Cheers.

davidbailie
      Participant

Renewing Member

Hi Eric, yes, I was in there a few weeks ago and we discussed it too. Apparently, all owners will be contacted by BMW with instructions to contact their dealer and set up a time for an inspection and any work that is needed.

As far as the work itself, they’re checking all bikes for a gap of .02mm and if there’s a gap, the bike will get new forks and the compression collars, if there’s no gap, the bike will still get the compression collars. So whether there’s a sign of the problem or not, we’re all getting the fix.

So it’s not a ‘do not ride’ type of recall, but interestingly, it’s a ‘do not sell’ type of recall. So the dealership is allowed to sell the bikes they have on the floor, but the customer can’t take delivery until the collars have been installed, and as you mentioned, the parts aren’t available just yet. They say that the tools to facilitate the repair were supposed to arrive in late July. And apparently, bikes that are on the road are getting the fix before bikes in the dealership waiting to be sold, I thought that was a great way to show us on the road riders that we’re more important than new sales.

Cheers,

David.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.